Wednesday 19 March 2008

My name is Sophie and I whole heartedly support Amy's project. I feel that to gain insight into individuals experiences and emotions will only enhance others understanding, and hopefully open peoples minds.

I am a qualified Humanistic Existential Counsellor/Psychotherapist. In simpler terms I do not direct, interpret or analyse my clients but work on building a trusting relationship for them to feel safe in talking through their issues at their pace and together we are able to get a new perspective, clarity, closure or answers to their issues.


Mental Health is something that should be addressed by all as it effects us all. We will all suffer at some point or another from what life has to throw at us. Amy's project aims to explore experiences and to broaden peoples perceptions of what mental health is.

If we can work together to explore and understand mental health, mental illness, depression, lifes struggles, one's suffering or what ever else you'd like to call it then perhaps together we can start to change the stigma and labels often attatched and help people realise they are not alone in their suffering, maybe by other people realising it is nothing to be ashamed of and that it is more common than perhaps they thought, then maybe, just maybe some people will seek help that may previously of suffered in silence.


I am giving my services to this worthwhile project, as an objective advisor to Amy.
I would also be happy to listen to your contributions of your own experiences of mental health suffering, whether it is your own experience or as a family, friend or partner of someone who has or is currently suffering.

I previously worked for the NHS Secondary Health Care as a psychotherapist working with more complex mental health issues. I worked long term with clients presenting a multitude of issues from depression, abuse, attempted suicide, Bipolar, psychosis, eating disorders, anxiety, panic attacks,self esteem, relationships to name a few.

I am a lecturer at South East Essex college teaching Counselling & Psychotherapy to the next generation of counsellors and helping professionals. I also run a small private practice. I would be happy to see anyone that would like to contribute to Amy's project.

Please feel free to get in touch. If, while contributing to this project, you find you need to talk to someone about the issues it brings up, please leave your email address and I will contact you personally as soon as possible.

I hope this project provokes deep thought, encouragement, insight, awareness and change in one's perception. Thank you for your time,
Sophie Pinney

'That which does not kill us makes us stronger.'
Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: